Farmer's Market / The Grove

BACKSTORY: The Farmer's Market in L.A. first opened in July 1934, just south of CBS Television City at the corner of 3rd Street and Fairfax Avenue. It is currently adjacent to The Grove outdoor shopping mall which opened in 2002; an electric-powered streetcar runs between the two sites. The Grove fills space previously occupied by an orchard and nursery (the last remains of a dairy farm owned by A.F. Gilmore in the latter part of the 19th century). The developers began demolition of an antiques alley and other older buildings on Third Street behind CBS Television City, and broke ground for the new mall in 1999. The TV gossip program "Extra" is filmed here.