“Soar high above the rooftops of London aboard a pirate galleon on an adventure to Neverland.”
BACKSTORY (July 17, 1955—Present): In 1983, during Fantasyland’s remodel, an AA Peter Pan was added to reduce the confusion of why Peter Pan himself was not on his own ride. Features ride vehicles (a pirate ship suspended from a track on the ceiling above to enhance the sensation of flying) soaring through the nursery, out over London, onward to Never Land, and finally through Skull Rock, where riders saw Captain Hook, Mr. Smee, Princess Tiger Lily and the Crocodile before unloading. The exterior had a medieval design with the queue being outside.
In 1982, Fantasyland was remodeled. Some attractions were relocated to make room for the expanded dark rides. The retheming of Fantasyland resembled a rustic European Alpine village rather than a Medieval Faire. Mr. Toad & Snow White’s dark rides moved their respective loading areas (and partial murals) indoors, but the Peter Pan attraction still featured a colorful mural, depicting the characters from the film. As part of the new remodel, scenes from the Florida ride were added to Disneyland, including the pirate ship deck. The new version opened as part of the new Fantasyland in May 1983. In July 2015 the beloved attraction reopened after being refurbished with new special effects.