DAVELAND > Disneyland > Frontierland > Fort Wilderness
BACKSTORY (May 1956–PRESENT): From the 1956 park brochure: “At the far end of Wilderness Road stands Fort Wilderness—the outpost of civilization. The time is the War of 1812…the United States flag has only 15 stars. Within the gates there is a Canteen and Trading Post—stocked with pelts, guns, knives, and Indian craft. In the Regimental Hdqrs., Davy Crockett and George Russel, U.S. Army Scouts, can be seen reporting to Maj. General Andrew Jackson during the Cherokee Indian Campaign. From the parapets and block houses can be seen the vast untamed American wilderness…the deer, moose, bear and wildlife of the primitive forest. Beyond the stockade are tepees…hostile Indians on the warpath. A settler’s cabin burns in the distance…mute evidence of a treacherous attack.”
With the “opening” of Tom Sawyer’s Island, rafts provided transportation from a dock near the Chicken Plantation restaurant to the old “Tom’s Landing” location between the island’s grist mill and fishing pier. Fort Wilderness was one of the original features of Tom Sawyer Island and was built from actual logs. Due to improper maintenance over the years and the fact that termites love wood, the Fort eventually became a casualty. In January 2001, a 6-year-old girl lost most of a finger when she slipped while playing with one of the toy rifles in the rifle roost. The rife roost was boarded up. Fort Wilderness stayed open, but it was becoming evident that Tom Sawyer Island needed some care. In 2003, Tom Sawyer Island received a rehab to improve it and make it safer. Sadly, Fort Wilderness was closed and never reopened, only to be used by performers of Fantasmic! as a costuming area. The walls were reinforced with wooden framing beams within the fort to help it keep standing. Finally, the original Fort was torn down in 2007 and has been rebuilt, albeit with a somewhat different design. It is still closed to the public, and most likely will continue to be a facility for cast members and storage.
Here is the text from the original 1957 Tom Sawyer Island brochure:
…The last outpost of civilization at the end of Wilderness Trail. Inside the stockade the Canteen and Trading Post is stocked with pelts, guns, knives, and Indian craft. In the Regimental Hdqrs., Davy Crockett and George Russel, U.S. Army Scouts, are reporting to Maj. General Andrew Jackson during the Cherokee Indian Campaign in 1813. The blockhouses are ready with rifles…Beyond the stockade are tepees…hostile Indians on the warpath. A settler’s cabin burns furiously in the distance…mute evidence of a treacherous attack. There is a secret escape tunnel to Wilderness Landing!
Click the shopping cart icon below left for details of how to purchase high-quality photographic prints of my work, or click the social media buttons below for more Daveland creativity and fun!